Erasmus+ for students (study stay)

Up to four million young people and adults in Europe are given the opportunity to study, work or volunteer in another country through the Erasmus+ program. The stated goals of the program are to improve the competence level and employability of young people and to encourage cross-border partnerships and the collaboration between educational institutes within the programme countries.

Erasmus+ FAQs

1. Who can apply to the Erasmus+ program?

All officially enrolled students (Bachelor & Master), who have completed at least the first year of a basic course (Bachelor) at the start of the year abroad. The course must be in a field of study that is relevant to your Erasmus+ exchange.

2. To which universities/conservatoires can I apply?

To all the partner institutions of the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna.

3. I am interested in a stay abroad — what do I have to do?

If you are interested in a stay abroad, please contact the Student Affairs Office (Erasmus+ coordinator Kristina Todtova) as soon as possible, but no later than February.

You must then register on the Mobility Online application platform:

The partner institutions have very different application deadlines between March and May for the entire coming academic year.

Please note that a complete application must be submitted for each host university (you can apply for a maximum of three). How and when the application should be submitted varies greatly (online portal, by email from the International Office, etc.). In addition, it also requires an official nomination from MUK for your application to be valid. Information on this can be found on the respective website or will be provided by the Erasmus coordinator of the MUK.

4. How long does an Erasmus+ placement last?

As part of the new Erasmus+ programmes, you can spend a maximum of 12 months per study cycle (bachelor’s or master’s) at host universities. The minimum length per stay is two months.

5. What documents do I need to submit with my application?

  •  Letter of motivation (informal and freely structured; max. 1 page; in the national language or in English)
  •  CV (in the national language or in English)
  •  Transcript of records (available from the Student Affairs Office at the MUK)
  •  Recording link (YouTube, Dropbox etc.)
  •  Letter of recommendation from your central artistic subject teacher (optional)

6. Will I get a bursary for my Erasmus+ placement?

Financial support for Erasmus+ placements by students is based on the various living costs in the destination countries (€ 420.00 to 520.00 monthly). This EU grant is calculated by the MUK, recorded in the grant agreement and paid out accordingly.

Study grants, family allowance and orphan’s pensions can be received at the same time. Other grants for stays abroad are also offered by some authorities. Please contact the relevant authorities for more information (e.g. Study Grant Authority, local tax authorities, etc.).

7. Do I need to be able to speak the language of the destination country?

As part of Erasmus+, all participating students must carry out an obligatory self-assessment to determine their language skills before and after the placement (OLS). However, the result has no influence on the chances of success of the application. However, we recommend that you have language level B1 (CEF) in the relevant language.

8. Do I have to pay my tuition fees during my Erasmus+ placement?

Each Erasmus+ student is exempt from the tuition fees of the guest and home university. The ÖH fee at MUK must still be paid. If there is something similar at the host institution, this must also be paid.

9. Will I remain registered at the MUK during my Erasmus+ placement?

You will continue to be an officially enrolled student at the MUK during your Erasmus+ placement at the guest university. Confirmations of enrolment and student ID will be issued or extended.

10. What must I achieve academically as an Erasmus+ student?

In principle, at least 30 ECTS should be agreed in the learning agreement for each Erasmus semester and proven upon your return to the MUK. To avoid demands for repayment of the paid bursaries, at least 3 ECTS should be attained per placement stay.

11. Can I gain credit for the certificates attained at the guest university for my degree at the MUK?

The principle of "no loss of progress” applies. This means you can claim credit for all academic achievements previously agreed in the learning agreement (ECTS points).

You can find more information about your rights and obligations as an Erasmus+ student in the  Erasmus Student Charter.