Insurance for Students

Health Insurance

In theory, co-insurance with parents (or grandparents) is normally possible until a person’s 28th birthday if the child is in school or professional training. This is confirmed by the receipt of family allowance. Attention: If you no longer obtain family allowance, the co-insurance policy will NOT extend automatically. A confirmation of continued studies must be passed on to the GKK (regional health insurance fund)!
There is also the option of obtaining a co-insurance policy with your spouse or partner, for example. However, there are usually costs associated with this. You can find more detailed information about co-insurance and how to make an application from the Wiener Gebietskrankenkasse health insurance fund.

Personal Student Self Insurance
To make use of personal student self insurance, you must be able to prove you have a normal residence in Austria. The length of the course must not exceed the minimum study duration + four “tolerance” semesters. In addition, your annual income must not be more than 10,000 EUR. Further important information and conditions relating to personal student insurance can be obtained from the Austrian Social Insurance Office.

The private insurance FeelSafe is also suitable for students - also for students who are enrolled in a non-degree study programme.

General Self Insurance
If it is not possible to get either a co-insurance or student self insurance policy, there is still the option of a general self insurance policy. The condition for this is a normal residence in Austria. Even people in low-paid employment can be insured. You can obtain more information about general self insurance from the Wiener Gebietskrankenkasse health insurance fund.

General Insurance Policies

The range of insurance policies available extends from household insurance to accident insurance and legal costs insurance. The largest insurance institutions include: