Application deadline: Mon, 06.05.2024
Wed, 22.05.2024, time tba
Theory test (for BA only):
Tue, 21.05.2024, in the morning
Room 2.04 (Johannesgasse 4a, 2nd floor, 1010 Vienna)
Here you can find further information concerning the theory test.
This entrance exam will take place on site in Vienna. Please make all organisational preparations (flight booking, visa etc.) in time to participate.
The entrance examination is in several sections. You will need to pass the preceding part before moving on to the next section. The entrance examination is used to provide evidence of a talent for the field of study, the possession of basic knowledge in the field of theory, aural training and of an instrument.
• Aural: Melody and rhythm dictation, chords, recognition of errors, cadenzas
• Theory: General music theory, principles of syntax, basso continuo, harmonising of a melody
• Continuation of the beginning of a composition
• Performance of applicant’s own compositions on an instrument of their choice
• Discussion with the candidate and submission of candidate’s own compositions in the form of printed computer or handwritten scores (playback of own compositions using recording device: only CD or candidate’s own laptop possible, no option to use USB sticks, external hard drives or mobiles)
Prerequisite for admission to the Master’s degree course is a successfully completed Bachelor’s degree in the same field of study or an equivalent qualification as well as successfully passing the entrance examination and there being a place available on the course.
The Director of Studies can link admission to the Master’s degree course to the condition that specific courses beyond the syllabus of the Master’s degree must be completed or that written essays must be submitted. The student can be set a deadline to fulfil these conditions. If no deadline is set, these conditions must be fulfilled before the end of the course.
The entrance examination consists of:
Interview with the candidate and presentation of own compositions in the form of printed computer or handwritten scores (playback of own compositions per sound carrier: only CD or own laptop possible, neither USB sticks nor external hard disks or mobile phones).
f you cannot join the exam on the given date, an individual exam date can be arranged.
The admission exam can be done directly on site in Vienna or by submitting respective application videos and serves to determine applicants’:
a) motivation for undertaking the programme of study
b) artistic proficiency (corresponding to Master’s level entry)
c) artistic and personal suitability
The admission process is split into three parts – applicants must be successful in Part 1 in order to progress to the next stage.
1. Submission of a short biography (including language skills), covering letter, repertoire list and an audition programme:
• Short biography: applicants should provide a written overview of the qualifications they have gained so far, their (language) skills, and the areas their activities have focused on.
• Covering letter: applicants should describe their personal expectations of the programme and what they are looking to get out of it. Applicants should also state their current artistic activities and skills and those they are aiming to acquire.
• Audition programme for Part 2: a programme for the artistic presentation that makes up Part 2 (corresponding to Master’s level entry).
2. Artistic presentation:
In the artistic presentation, applicants should demonstrate their instrumental proficiency and level of artistry. The programme should be put together by the applicant her/himself and should give as strong an impression as possible of her/his artistic qualifications. Instrumental proficiency should be at least that needed for Master’s level entry.
Together with the applicant, a panel will discuss and reflect on the results of Parts 1 and 2 of the admission exam and examine the applicant’s individual and artistic potential as well as her/his personal goals and suitability for the programme.
Schedule might be possibly altered even in the short term! Regarding that please look up this section of the website regularly. Thank you.
Applications for studying at the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna can be submitted online at anytime; they will be reserved for the next admission period. Applications submitted after the application deadline can no longer be considered for the subsequent audition date.