Application deadline: Wed., 31.01.2024
1. Online application including video submissions
(until application deadline)
2. On-site appointment for selected applicants
Konzertsaal (Singerstraße 26, 2. OG, 1010 Wien)
Please make all organizational preparations (flight reservations, visa, etc.) in time to participate. You will be informed by e-mail at the beginning of March if you will be invited to this optional on-site audition.
The entrance examination for the Master’s degree is used to check the candidate’s aptitude for the specific requirements of the Master’s degree, with particular consideration of their prior knowledge and skills.
The condition for admission to a Master’s degree is a completed Bachelor’s degree in a pertinent branch of study or an equivalent qualification from an Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational facility, as well as successfully passing all parts of the entrance examination.
To pass the entrance examination, a rating of “Passed” is required in all sections. Admission also depends on the specific availability of a course place. Being placed on the waiting list supposes a probability of future availability (i.e. by the end of the semester in question) of a course place.
The application for the entrance examination is done via the application mask in MUKonline. All necessary steps for the application for the entrance exam are listed here.
The entrance examination is done by sending in application videos. Important information for a correct recording of your application video can be found here.
The application video includes:
The program corresponds to the artistic program specifications. The applicants themselves choose the order of the program. The entire program must be recorded. Each piece should be uploaded separately.
• 5 arias in at least three different languages, of which 1 in German
• 1 piece from the overall programme should come from composers from the 20th/21st century, whose tonal language belongs to the modern* stylistic era
• All pieces must be performed by heart
• Technical discussion
*Modern — Compositions, which extend beyond the tonal language and rhythm of the late romantic era.
Accompaniment is to be arranged by the participants themselves - piano accompaniment is preferred but playback accompaniment is also possible. The choice of technical means is up to you, as it is in your own interest that sound and image quality are as meaningful as possible.
Maximum duration: 2 minutes
Language: German or English
Please talk about the following points:
You will be informed personally via e-mail about the result of your video application.
Step 3 (on-site audit):
After viewing the video applications, selected applicants will be invited to an additional on-site audit at MUK.
Contents of the on-site audit:
Dates for the entrance exam are arranged individually.
The admission exam can be done directly on site in Vienna or by submitting respective application videos and serves to determine applicants’:
a) motivation for undertaking the programme of study
b) artistic proficiency (corresponding to Master’s level entry)
c) artistic and personal suitability
The admission process is split into three parts – applicants must be successful in Part 1 in order to progress to the next stage.
1. Submission of a short biography (including language skills), covering letter, repertoire list and an audition programme:
• Short biography: applicants should provide a written overview of the qualifications they have gained so far, their (language) skills, and the areas their activities have focused on.
• Covering letter: applicants should describe their personal expectations of the programme and what they are looking to get out of it. Applicants should also state their current artistic activities and skills and those they are aiming to acquire.
• Audition programme for Part 2: a programme for the artistic presentation that makes up Part 2 (corresponding to Master’s level entry).
2. Artistic presentation:
In the artistic presentation, applicants should demonstrate their instrumental proficiency and level of artistry. The programme should be put together by the applicant her/himself and should give as strong an impression as possible of her/his artistic qualifications. Instrumental proficiency should be at least that needed for Master’s level entry.
Together with the applicant, a panel will discuss and reflect on the results of Parts 1 and 2 of the admission exam and examine the applicant’s individual and artistic potential as well as her/his personal goals and suitability for the programme.
Schedule might be possibly altered even in the short term! Regarding that please look up this section of the website regularly. Thank you.
Applications for studying at the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna can be submitted online at anytime; they will be reserved for the next admission period. Applications submitted after the application deadline can no longer be considered for the subsequent audition date.